Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Max's Birthday and the Official Party

On Max's birthday, Greg went in to work for an hour or so while I got the kids ready for the day.  Max requested 'Choco meal' for breakfast (Malt-o-Meal), which was perfect since we were about out of milk!  The plan was to go to Monkey Joe's in the morning and then go out for lunch.  (When I asked him a week or so back what he wanted to do for his birthday, he said, "Go to that monkey place we went to with Grace!")

Upon arrival, Max got a sticker proclaiming his birthday with a big 5!  He got right to playing, while the girls took a little longer to warm up.  Daddy decided to help them out and took all 3 kids down one of the slides!


This makes me laugh...I'll zoom in so you can see it better!


The boys are loving it, while the girls are...tolerating it!  In reality, both girls liked the slides, but they are definitely less daredevil than the boys!


Max had a ball the whole time...this boy loves to climb, slide, etc.!


I was so proud of Nora...compared to last time a year ago, she did so much more by herself!  Amazing what a difference a year makes!


Of course, personality makes a difference, too.  Our independent little Tirzah figured out that she could climb one of the slides, too!


She did require a little help at the top, at which point she got grouchy and decided NOT to enjoy herself any more.


Case in point...you can make me go down this slide, Daddy, but you can't make me like it!  I don't know what her deal was, but she was kind of cranky all morning.  Probably the last 15 minutes she finally got into a bouncer with Max and Nora and had some fun.  It is pretty loud in there because of all the air blowing into the bouncers constantly, so she might have just been overwhelmed.


After Monkey Joe's, we went to Chili's for lunch where they have a screen with games on it for while you wait.  Perfect for Max!


That night we celebrated at home with 'ice cream and fruit' per Max's request.  It was quite yummy!

For Max and Tirzah's actual birthday party, we invited some family over to our house last Sunday.  I made them each a little 6 inch cake.


Tirzah got a girl version of the monkey cake Max got 2 years ago.  Her little sleeping pal is a monkey blanket, and she has just kind of adopted it as 'her' animal, so it seemed fitting!


I don't remember when, but a couple of weeks ago Max informed me that his birthday cake was going to be an ankylosaurus this year.  I thought, "Hmm, really?  I wasn't informed!"  I knew I needed to keep it pretty simple, but after looking online at ankylosaurus cakes (yes, there are some out there!) that had chocolate chips as the armor, I decided to try tracing a picture of one and going from there.  It's not perfect, but at least Max knew right away what it was supposed to be! :)


I love this picture!  These two are SO alike in personality...Max really loves his little sister!


After singing Happy Birthday...


And hearing how old they are...


It's time to blow out the candles!


Blow!


Got one!


Max of course went too quickly...he did get them all out, though!

After opening presents, the kids wanted to go outside.  Tirzah especially, since she got a new trike!  One of the presents we gave Max was a kit to make giant bubbles.  It finally was a night that was not so windy, so I thought it would be perfect to try out.


It works!


The bubbles were huge!


Yes, really! :)


This was the best I could get of Max standing behind one...he was too blurry otherwise!


Greg just kept making monster bubbles, and Max just kept trying to pop them.  He had a blast!


Then Nora wanted in on the fun, too!


I love how the face she's making looks like she is blowing the bubble. :)


Mom was pretty impressed with the bubble kit...she kept oohing and aahing over the giant bubbles!


Evidence that Nora loved popping them...mini bubbles stuck in her hair! :)


Mom was trying so hard to get a picture with Nora, but she kept swinging her leg up and popping the bubbles...we finally got one here. :)


Pop!


Pop!


Greg was done making bubbles and Mom and I were standing talking about something else, when all of a sudden I heard Mom say, "Oh!  Nora!"  I turned around, and she had just picked up the wands and was standing there, making the longest bubble ever!


She was hilarious...such a little self-satisfied smile on her face!


What a cutie!  She made some amazingly long ones...I don't know if the wind was just right or if she just had the knack.


Of course, Max saw what was happening and proclaimed that he hadn't had a turn yet!  Nora was feeling mischievous and popped his first several attempts...note the hand coming out from the corner.


But Max kept at it...

And did it!  The triumphant look on his face was pretty cute, too!  Happy 5th birthday, Maxwell Dean!  We love you!  It's hard to believe you are already going to kindergarten this fall...we are excited to see you continue to grow and learn!  Oh, and it's pretty touching to this mama's heart at how much you love your sisters and how EXCITED you are to be getting a little brother soon! :D

No comments: