Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Strawberries!

Last year was the first spring that I lived in my house (the year before I moved in the middle of the summer). Being the country boy that I am...I knew that when the Gurney's magizine came...I must order as many fruits and vegtables that I could possibly cram into my 2.5 acre plot. Soon came the grapes, blueberries, strawberries and other assorted vegatables. So in the summer of 2006 I had about 5 strawberries, no blueberries (that the birds didn't get), and no real grapes. However, for 2007, this has turned around drastically! I bought some nets at the local Farm 'n Fleet and prepared to take on the birds. The nets worked wonderfully and thus far, we have had a very sucessful year with the strawberries! This afternoon, after finally getting our wedding pictures finalized with our photographers...(yes, if you ordered pictures, you might get some this year), we decided to make strawberry jam. The end result...20 containers of jam...and a few left for fresh....but never fear....there will be more ripe tomorrow! I can't wait to taste Mary's first strawberry shortcake!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at those beautiful strawberries!! I am so proud of your jam making!!! Keep the blogging up Greg!! You can do it!! Love,Mom

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, but again I feel the need to say, "You two are un-stinkin-believable." I guess someone has to make up for us townies with no room for a garden. =)

your favorite sis-in-law

Stephanie R. said...

Wow!!!! I'm going to have to show Nate those pictures. He is going to be very jealous. Especially since our new apartment isn't going to have a balcony (no strawberry plants for us).

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to travel to Ludwigsburg or Wustenrot and beg for free fruit from the family ; )