On Wednesday night we had eaten supper at a place called Dry Dock. We had been told that manatees were sighted there sometimes. When we asked our waitress, she said that to make them come up to the dock they stick a garden hose in the water and the manatees are drawn to the stream of fresh water. Of course, we didn't see any that night, but another waiter told us about a nearby bridge where manatees sometimes gather because of the warmer water. So, Thursday night we went out there after supper to try and see a manatee.

To be honest, I don't remember if this picture actually has a manatee in it or not. Sheila and I saw this huge floating shape in the water that looked like a big plank of plywood or something, and later Sheila and Greg saw it's snout come up out of the water....so we did actually see a manatee in the wild!

After our exciting sighting, we went to the beach so I could see a cloudless ocean sunset...I like watching the sun slip down 'into' the water.
On Thursday we went back to the beach club for our last day, and I got my favorite picture of Tirzah napping. :)

Look! Her legs are actually chubby!

Look! Her legs are actually chubby!

After she woke up, Greg was playing with her. I thought it was cute how she was holding on to his toe.

Greg and Sheila took this one for Dad and Mom Beutel (and Bella!)
That night we ate at Phillippi Creek Oyster Bar, on recommendation from someone at the hotel.

Here are my stone crab claws I talked about earlier. They were yummy!
Max and Nora both crashed on the way to the restaurant, and they slept the entire meal. Max slept on Sheila's lap, while Nora slept on mine.
Greg took this picture, looked at it, laughed, and tried to get another one, but Max was already done. It's almost as if Greg tried to put his shadow directly over Max. :)

On our way back to our hotel, we had to stop and let Sheila get a picture of the "Unconditional Surrender" statue that we had been driving by all week.
Friday morning, Greg and Nora took a walk outside the hotel.
Since it was cloudy, windy, and spitting rain a bit, we went to Mixon's Fruit Farms, the same place we went two years ago.

Max loved the iguana, Spike. I love his expression!

Max loved the iguana, Spike. I love his expression!

He also sat and petted the turtle the entire time the guide was talking about it. No turtle rides this year, bud!

They also have a very pretty arbor thing, where we took some family pictures. Here I am with Tirzah...I love how her cheeks look so squishy in this one. :)
For supper we ate at Caragiulos...we were tired of seafood and asked for recommendations for a good pizza place. We definitely went to the right place! We were able to eat outside, which was great, and the kids even made their own pizzas!
....then the cheese....

Ready to bake! The kids were also given an extra ball of dough, so we made smiley faces on their pizzas.

Two smileys
After supper, we realized that with all of the shell-gathering we'd done, we hadn't gotten any shells for the grandmas! To correct this mistake, we went out to the beach one last time.

Sniff....goodbye, beach!
We were all glad to get into the van and head back to the hotel...it was pretty chilly out there!

Max and Nora relaxed together while watching Tom and Jerry on the iPod. Seriously, sometimes they share so good together! Other times, it's best to just put them in separate rooms!
We didn't leave Saturday until 12:15 or something like that, so it was the perfect amount of time to eat breakfast, pack everything up, and get to the airport. Thankfully the flights were uneventful (I was still nervous as a cat on both of them), and we got into Bloomington right around 5 pm. I was so happy to be on the ground and surrounded by fields! There's definitely no place like home!
We had a fun vacation, I'm so glad that Sheila came with us, and now I'm glad we are home and settling back in to normal. :)






































No comments:
Post a Comment