Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Ups and Downs of Life

The last few weeks have been quite a roller coaster ride for the Beutel Household!

I last wrote on October 29th...a monday. On Thursday the 1st and Friday the 2nd I had tax school in Bloomington. The speakers were very good and I actually enjoyed it this year.

November 1st Mary's grandpa, Arnold Rassi passed from this life...he was over 90 years old. I never really knew him personally since he suffered from Parkinsons and perhaps Alzeimers when Mary and I were engaged last year. I wish that I would have had the opportunity to get to know him. Everybody that spoke of him did so with love and admiration.

November 2nd after tax school I headed to the visitation where we sat and talked with family and friends that came to pay their last respects. After the visitation we headed out to Mary's parents and had a late supper.

November 3rd was perhaps one of the more interesting days of my life. In the morning Mary and I went to her Grandpa Rassi's funeral. After the funeral I hopped into my truck and headed up to my dad's cow sale in Chillicothe. I was the clerk that sat up in the booth. About half way through the sale a cow tried to join us in the booth. It looked like it was going to, so the auctioneer told me to get out of the booth. As I was leaving I turned around and looked. The cow was pounding its hooves on the computer over and over and over. Amazingly....when I finally got back up in the booth, there was not a scratch on the computer. The cow had type three characters...amazing! After clearing the manure and cow hair off of the counter I tried to get back to work. I'll have to admit....my hands were shaking and my mind was not focusing very well! After the sale ended Mary and I headed home. At 6:00 we headed up to the fellowship hall for my Grandpa Wagenbach's wedding. It was quite a joy to see him so happy again.

The next week my sister Stephanie was home all week. On Wednesday night Mary, Steph, and I went down to Champaign to visit some friends and cousins. It was a great time although it got a bit late.

Friday (Nov 9th) I finally signed a contract to get our basement fixed so that hopefully, come spring, there will be no water in the house! Friday night we had potluck at Gary & Kathy's house. Plenty of good food and conversation.

Saturday we told Steph goodbye. Then we headed to East Peoria to tour the Caterpillar Plants that Dad oversaw when he was in East Peoria. It was quite interesting to see all the parts and how they are made...and how the tractors are put together and inspected. Very interesting. Then in the evening we had another potluck at my Uncle Si and Aunt LaVonne's house. It was a nice evening as well.

Sunday we celebrated birthday's at Mary's parents house. Lovely evening with the family as usual.

Monday I worked, attended my cousin's bachelor supper, and visited with some good/old friends, Brent and Kay. The supper was in their office right across the way from their house. So after the supper I went to talk with them and never got back to the dinner. I felt kinda bad, but really enjoyed talking to old friends.

Today (Tuesday) Mary and I went to Pekin to visit the OB/GYN. We had our first sonogram. It was very neat to see! Its amazing that that little life is all wrapped up inside of her. Wow!

Tonight we are going to take wall paper off of the walls at my Grandpa's old house to help my parents get it ready to rent out.

So as you can see....we have certainly had joys and sorrows the first half of November. God has been good however, and we have no complaints.


Greg


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was quite a day!! Love, Mom