Well, it's hard to believe, but Tim and Melissa's wedding is only 3 days away! I figured I'd better blog about our past week so that I don't have so much catching up to do on Monday. :) Oh, and on a side note, Max is 15 months old as of today. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Any good advice on preparing a 15 month old (rather strong-willed) boy for a baby sibling?
Anyway, so last Monday we headed south to Marion, IL with the Dean Beutel family minus Tim (who had to work) and Melissa (who was at home doing wedding preparations, I'd imagine). Max did pretty good on the 4ish hour ride, even though he only slept an hour of it.
Maybe the french fries helped. :)

At our last stop, Max went to the truck to visit Grandma and Bella.

He thought he was pretty cool.

Once again, I didn't do just awesome at taking pictures, so you'll have to deal with just what I remember. We got to the Olde Squat Inn Monday late afternoon and 'settled in.' I wish I had pictures of the actual cabin we stayed in. I think Steph did; she'll probably put some up when they get back home. Anyway, Tuesday morning after breakfast (which was served up at the main cabin--stuffed french toast!) we headed out in search of the Southern IL Wine Trail. I didn't know it existed, but evidently there's something like 14 wineries in southern IL. We actually stopped at an orchard first and enjoyed some peach cobbler with ice cream. Deliciousness! Anyway, our first winery stop was a Swedish one, called Hedmans.

.jpg)
We were the only group there, so the wine tasters were able line up and sample right away.

The inside of the winery had some pretty paintings on the walls/doorways.

While the others were doing their tasting, me and little E hung out outside. (Aside from being pregnant, I don't really like wine...unless it's sweet enough it tastes like Kool-Aid) Yes, she loves me...can't you tell from that face!??!!?

Just look at that cute little studmuffin! Max hung out with us outside, too...the winery was a little shop, as well, and had way too many trinkets for curious little fingers to find and break.

Love this little cutie pie (and the faces she makes). :)

I don't really like this picture of me, but I can about hear Elena's giggle just from looking at it. I don't even remember what I was doing/holding up.
Our next stop was an Italian place called Alto Vineyards. There was a group of girls there ahead of us, but once they left we had the place to ourselves. The guy here was a little more talkative and friendly than the one at the first place, I thought.

The tasters
Here's a pic of Katy with her...

...sparkling grape juice! :) I got a glass, too.
The outside of Alto Vineyards...they had some pretty grounds, but this was the only shot I took.

Back on the Wine Trail once more, our next stop was a German winery, called Von Jakob. We actually got some food at this place since it was past lunch time. They had had a wedding there that past weekend, so they had some food leftover. It was definitely reheated and probably better at the wedding, but it was food, so I was grateful. Little munchkin #2 tends to remind me when I don't eat often enough. Anyway, I think Von Jakob was the prettiest place we stopped at. They had a patio and some tables/chairs set up outside overlooking the vineyards...a beautiful setup! The only good picture I have from this place is of me and Kates inside.

Here we are!
Our last stop was at a winery called Pamona, where all of their wines are made from fruits other than grapes. By this time, Max was tuckered out and so was I, so we actually stayed in the van and napped while everyone else went inside. Evidently I missed out because the proprieter was an interesting guy. Greg said he was obviously quite passionate about his wines...he would spout off from memory not only the best foods to eat with them, but entire recipes using his wines! We headed back to our home base after this stop and had a relaxing evening back at the cabin. On Wednesday morning, we once again walked up to the main cabin for breakfast (ham and eggs and muffins this morning). It started raining, but then stopped late morning. The guys all wanted to go hiking in Garden of the Gods, so they headed out once it stopped raining. The girls and babies all went to the mall. :) We had an earlier supper, which worked out great since Sheila, Katy, and me/Greg/Max were coming home that evening. It was a fun trip, but good to be home (as always).
A few Max antics for the week:
He really enjoyed eating his first ear of sweet corn by himself, as you can see...

I forgot I had loaned our bouncy seat to someone, so when they returned it, it was a new thing for Max. He plays with it more now that when he was little! He loves to lay in it and make the lights/sounds go.

Last one for the day: yesterday I got him dressed and didn't realize until later that I'd put his "Mom's official cookie tester" shirt on him. And I'd made cookies. So when he got up from his nap, guess what he ate for a snack? :)

If anyone actually reads this before Saturday, this nervous mommy would appreciate prayers for a 15 month old ringbearer to be at least mostly good for the wedding, pictures, etc.!
2 comments:
I enjoyed the trip also and I am so glad we did it otherwise we would just keep working at home and not relax! Good times with the family! Love, Grandma/Mom
On the picture that you can't remember what you were doing, you were jingling some bells(that you would hang on your porch or whatever).....i took the pic (thats why i know)!!!
Post a Comment