Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The first camping of the year!

This past weekend we went camping with Nate and Steph up near Starved Rock.  There is a great campsite called Hickory Hollow in Utica.  The kids were beyond excited to get the pop up out and go camping!


Tirzah's bed to the left, me and Greg's on the right


Max and Nora's bed


We got up there around 3:30 and set up camp.  It was too early for supper, and Nate and Steph weren't going to be there for a while, so we let the kids play some games on the computer.  Yes, I know...camping?!?!  But I fully enjoy our version of camping:  pop up, electricity, and a bathroom near by.  I have no doubt that our kids' memories of camping will still be being outdoors, family time, campfires, and eating s'mores.


Greg made some absolutely yummy steaks on the grill over the fire, as well as hot dogs for the kids.


Nate, Steph, and the girls got up there after supper, and once they got their tent set up, we all walked down to the playground.  Elena was the only one who would let Greg take a picture of her!  (And look how cute it is!)


Eventually, Nora joined in.


Three best buddies!


Back at the campsite, I got out glow sticks for the kids once it got dark and we ate fruit, snacks, s'mores, and popcorn.


Happy campers!


Not too long after we were at the campsite, Tirzah tipped over Nora's little camping chair as she was sitting in it and got a pretty good fat lip and scrape on her scalp and chin.  She looked a little rough!  I was glad to still see this smile!

Stephie!


Elena REALLY wanted to roast her own marshmallow...


...so Nate coached her on it.  I don't remember how it turned out, but I think she ate it!  Once the kids were in bed, us adults played a couple rounds of Rook at the picnic table before calling it a night.


Greg likes to take pictures of the kids in the morning when they are still sleeping.  They do look pretty cute.


Oh, my Tirzah.  She slept great until about 2:00, at which point she would not go to sleep in her pack n play OR in our bed until finally at 5:00ish she crashed.  NOT the best night I've ever had, but we survived!

The guys made breakfast (bacon, pancakes, fruit) and we were packed up and pulling out of the campsite a little after 9:00.  I thought that was pretty impressive considering our crew and all of our kids!  We headed to Matthiessen State Park for some hiking.


We all took off our shoes and socks and went up closer to the waterfall.  Nora and Elena really impressed me...these girls usually do NOT love the water, but they warmed up to the idea and had fun splashing around in it!


The lovely Ram fam

During the hike, Tirzah was understandably pretty tired, but the kids all did GREAT.  At the end, I counted the number of stairs from the bottom of the canyon back up to the fort and came up with 206.  ALL 3 older kids walked it entirely by themselves!  After the hike we went to Duffy's Pub for lunch so we could try the "best Reuben sandwich Steph has ever eaten."  I don't know that I've ever had a Reuben, as they have never sounded that great.  I tried some of Greg's, though, and it was really good!  Much better than my burger!  I would probably order it next time. :)  All three kids completely crashed before we were five minutes down the road towards home, and we got back 3:30.  I was exhausted, but it really was a fun time!  Thanks for going, Ramquists! :)

2 comments:

Stephanie R. said...

Oh Mary, now you have finally learned a lesson that Nate learned a long time ago. When Steph says something is "the best thing she's ever eaten" it's usually pretty good. Well, at least in her opinion, and since you don't like chocolate we might not always agree : )

Anonymous said...

Takes me way back to the old days of the Pflederer reunion... I spent many hours hiking Mathiesson!!