Tuesday, May 01, 2012

A Very Dinosaur Birthday

It's already been over a week since Max's birthday!  True to his current obsession, his birthday celebrations were full of dinosaurs.  A couple months ago I asked him what kind of birthday cake he wanted, and of course the answer was a dinosaur.  More recently we looked together online and I found a triceratops cake that he liked.

The day I was going to start decorating the cake, as I was putting Max and Nora down for naps, I asked him if I could keep his two triceratops upstairs as examples for the cake.  His response was, "Yes, and all my other dinosaurs will watch over you, too."  So here is the crew that 'watched' me decorate the cake. :)



They were a great supportive audience.


Not only did I have dinosaurs to watch me, but my oh-so-helpful assistant (so helpful she was confined to the high chair until her nap!), Tirzy, ate many saltine crackers and entertained me.


When Greg and I asked what he wanted for breakfast on his birthday, he very conveniently chose our Sunday morning staple:  Malt-O-Meal!


We had his party on Sunday night....here is the completed triceratops cake along with the cupcakes I made...Greg found those cute dinosaur decals and they were perfect!


Thankfully, Max could tell what his cake was supposed to be. :)


And thankfully, none of the horns/scales fell off before we took pictures!


He was so excited that it was his birthday!  After waiting through all of the many Feb/March/early April birthdays in our family, it was FINALLY his!


Big breath....


Got 'em!

I don't have any pictures of Max opening presents, but he got many wonderful dinosaur stickers, some shirts, toys, and a bike!


This is from later in the week...he built a dinosaur tower with some of his new toys.


He also got this great floor puzzle...I had to help him put it together, but afterwards I thought it was cute that he played with his toy dinosaurs on it.


This past Sunday we celebrated April/May birthdays with my family at my parents' house.  Max loved his piece of cake with a '4' candle.


Blow it out!


Unfortunately, he picked up the candle as soon as he blew it out and got some hot wax on his fingers...good thing U. Nic was there to get it off quick!


In return for Nic's kindness, Max helped him blow out his candles. :)


Max was thrilled to see his gift in a dinosaur gift bag and to pull out a dinosaur sticker book, more dinosaur toys, and some dinosaur shirts!  Believe it or not, he is NOT tired of dinosaurs yet! :)


We all enjoyed the rest of the evening just being with family...and apparently Nora and U. Caleb had some fun together, too.  This picture just makes me laugh!

Whew...it feels like we've had a marathon of birthdays the past couple of months...and I guess we have!  There are a couple left in May, but then I think we're mostly done until Nora's in August.  And will she EVER be glad when her birthday is here!  She was pretty good through all these birthdays at accepting the fact that she didn't have any presents to open...hard for a 2.5 year old!  Several times I would let her open one of Tirzah's, and at one party someone brought her a gift to open.  We keep telling her that when her birthday comes, she gets to start Sunday School..she is pretty excited about that. :)  This random last picture is a peony that Greg brought inside the other day.  It opened up overnight and looks just gorgeous!  Next up on the blog list:  Lake Geneva!

2 comments:

Daveana said...

Mary, Did you use fondant on Max's cake. I've been trying to find a recipe that works.

Mary said...

Daveana - Yes! I use the recipe at this link: http://bakingdom.com/2010/01/marshmallow-fondant.html
I love it because it doesn't taste bad and is very easy to make. I have never used pre-made fondant, so I don't know if it's harder to work with or not. Check out the blog, though...she has made some gorgeous cakes/cupcakes with her homemade fondant!