Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Rassi Weekend Away

For the 2012 Rassi Weekend Away, John and Heather organized a great weekend at Shallowbrook Farms.  We got there at about 2:30 on Friday afternoon and get all of our stuff unloaded and set up in our rooms, marked very adorably by the signs that Grace created for us.




As people trickled in throughout the afternoon, we all had fun exploring the huge house and figuring out where everyone was going to be staying.


Heather had this great idea for keeping our drinking cups easy to find....a Sharpie, a clothesline, and clothespins!


After supper we all went outside to play.  Boone was looking especially cute in his little bear coat.  It was definitely cool all weekend!  I didn't pack any long sleeve shirts for our kids, only jackets.  I guess we just had to run around to keep warm otherwise!


The tennis court was a big hit with the kids.  Here Elisabeth is 'pitching' (don't know what you would call it in tennis) and Hannah, Hope, Lincoln, and Troy are taking turns swinging.


This boy LOVES his sports!  Pretty sure I moved up on his favorite people list because I 'played soccer' with him! :)


Kate and Max were having an absolute ball picking up walnuts and putting them in this tennis racket cover.  When asked what they were going to do with all of them, they said, "Eat them!" :)


Seth liked the tennis rackets, too.


Tirzah was just kind of a grouch all night, honestly.  To be fair, she was working off of only one nap.  But still, I thought she would like being outside more than she did!


All of the 'big boys' played Indian ball for a while, and Creighton just loved being on the field with them.  Another sports lover, I think, Carmen!


This cracks me up.  I don't know whose idea it was to let Nora be the 'pitcher,' but I bet they regretted it after seeing her throw a couple!


The tennis court was also a great palette for chalk!


Creighton making a masterpiece...


There!  Finished!

Shallowbrook Farms does have an outdoor pool, but we were the first summer guests there so it was a bit green looking.  Also, it was COLD!!!  But, when you have 10-12 year old boys in the family, of COURSE someone will want to try it out. :)


Jacob, Joel, and Todd getting ready to jump in.

How was it, guys?


Huh.  Cold. :)

Inside, Heather brought out her pin the tail on the raccoon game and the little kids all took turns.

Max was so excited to do it!

Hmm...got a little ways to go, buddy!

Hannah got close!

I really didn't think Nora would like being blindfolded, but she didn't seem to mind at all.

There!  I think she got closer than Max!


Hope was probably the closest...but she was also the oldest. :)


Seth was so funny!  After watching him for a bit, we discovered something:


He was tipping his head far enough back that he was peeking through the bottom!  Little stinker. :)

The farm has train tracks very close to it.  On Saturday morning, before breakfast, the kids heard the train whistle and were out the door in a flash.  Grandma went with and got these cute pictures.


Free entertainment!


What a line up!


After they came in, I think all of the five youngest ones started telling about it at the same time.  "A train!  We saw a train!  And it had ___ cars!  We counted them!"


Hannah and Nora eating (or not eating, in Nora's case) breakfast


Todd enjoying his, too

Pretty much everyone went outside after breakfast.  Max and Hannah loved this tree...it was a perfect height to climb up to this natural 'V' where they could sit.



Creighton chasing bubbles

Even though the pool was cold, we had kiddie pools and a water table, so most of the kids put on swimsuits anyway.

Max trying to blow up a balloon that has a little water in it.

Tirzah didn't get her suit on, but she played in the water anyway.


Hope was one of the brave ones who went in the pool!


Boone-buddy didn't get his suit on, either, but was content to hang out with his daddy.  LOVE this picture of him and Jason!


Hannah loved the water, as did...


...Creighton!


He didn't seem to mind how cold it was!


Nora, on the other hand....she was one of the reluctant ones.  Pretty sure she stayed in the kiddie pool!


Mike, Nic, Phil, and Caleb played some tennis, while Kate watched from her towel.


Caleb reading "Diary of a Spider" (I think it's one of John and Heather's kids' favorite books!)

Nora finally overcame her fear of the huge stuffed bear so I could get a picture of her with it.

Dad and Nic played horseshoes, and before long...

...they had an enthusiastic group of 'helpers.' :)


Max, Kate, and Jack hanging out in the favorite tree again; this time they are all 'sleeping!'

In the late afternoon, a big game of ultimate frisbee was started.  Mom and Creighton watched from the deck as he finished his popsicle.


Same with Hope and Elisabeth.

I don't know if John caught it or not after this, but it made a good picture!


Dad watched from his post with Tirzah at the hillbilly golf.

Quite the jump!

Lincoln found another good tree to sit in and wanted his picture taken.  How could I refuse such a sweet face?

Eventually everyone came inside...

...so we could sing happy birthday to Seth and Jack and give them their presents!

John and Heather had a few activities lined up, one of them being the hat game.  Afterwards, Max grabbed a  couple of leftovers:

Such a sense of style in that boy!


Okay, this was hilarious!  I hope someone got a video of it!  Five adults stood in front and put their arms at their sides.  Five kids stood behind them and stuck their arms out in front.  They had to do things like pretend to brush their teeth, put on their glasses (it was real in Phil's case!), shave, and the finale was to blow up and tie a balloon!


Tirzah clearly enjoyed it.


Lincoln and Troy clearly enjoyed the balloons at the end!


What a grin!

Once again, our crazy Max.  In his defense, I couldn't find his coat so I had to put Nora's on him.  The pink hat was all him, though.


Hannah and Chad playing the hat game (and the Queen of the hat game on the left of the picture!  Mom won it all!)


The last thing for the night was a big game of WhosirIsir, which Dad moderated expertly, as usual.

Silas and Elisabeth paying close attention so they hear their number!

Boone seems confused by the whole thing, but Jason and Mom are having fun. :)

On Sunday morning, we took a huge group picture.  I am sure there is a decent one, but after going through all of these pictures, (mine and Mom's) for this post, I just plain ran out of energy to try and find the best one.  I'm sure I'll get it up here eventually!

Instead, here is the best one of Dad and Mom with all of their grandkids. :)  I'm sure with some head swapping you could get one where my kids are actually smiling.

Greg also took some of the lovely Keever family.


After church, the adults packed up some things and the kids played a bit longer.  Here Nora and Lincoln play some version of chess....probably more like checkers!


I doubt there was a clear winner here. :)


Caleb and Creighton

Checkout was at 4:00, so we left around then and most of us ate supper together at Ming's in East Peoria.  It was nice to not have to cook supper, but I think our kids were ready to be in their own territory!
Ready for their own beds...they fell asleep in front of the fireplace Sunday night!

Thanks again to John and Heather for organizing the weekend, to all of the ladies for bringing food, and to everyone for coming!  We had a great weekend and the kids LOVED playing with all of their cousins!  We love you all and can't wait for next year!

No comments: