Thursday, August 30, 2007

We've been busy.....



Life continues to roll along at the Beutel Household...and we are loving it!

The weekend of the 17th/18th/19th was a good one! We had Mary's cousin Darl and his wife Janelle to our house for Saturday night and Sunday in church. Our potluck group had an invite-a-couple event. It was quite nice to meet some new people and renew some old friendships! We had a beautiful evening out at the "Grainery" and had a lovely singing (not getting many of those these days :( Anyway...that Sunday (after Darl & Janelle left), we went down to the state fair with my best buddy, Dale. It had been way to long since we had gotten together. The main event we went to attend were the horse pulls. Its like a tractor pull, except there are no engine sounds and you get to see the brute strength of two horses pulling thousands of pounds over their own weight! Quite amazing! I will post videos later. The horses are beautiful and powerful. In addition to the pulls, we were fortunate to watch the Lumberjack show, and a dog show where some dogs jumped up to 27 feet horizontally to catch Frisbees and then plunged into a pool! We also watched the diving show! Quite spectacular to see somebody doing a handstand on a very small platform 80 feet about a pool that is only 9 feet deep, and then to tip himself backwards in a baggy penguin suit, and to somersault down to the water! Quite amazing! We also saw a burning person jump from about 40 feet. One funny part of the evening was when I made a comment to Dale as we were walking through the loud, raucous festival area. He couldn't really hear what I had said and he said, "Did you say it feels like we're in Sodom & Gomorrah? " We laughed about that for a while.

On Monday and Tuesday night we had Caleb at our house. Tuesday night Katy, Caleb and I went to the Towerline Speedway. It a place near our house that has mini golf, climbing wall, Boxer Jocks (pictures below!), and 4 Go-Kart tracks! It was very fun...one last fling for the school kids before school started on Wednesday! Mary went to sewing club...I think its obvious who had more fun.
Friday night Dad and I butchered a hog. We did it quickly and efficiently! We refrigerated the meat for sausage overnight and then ground it in the morning. We had Rob and Marcia over for supper and then Rob completed a list of electrical jobs for me most of the evening. Most of us had a fun evening. Sorry Rob.

Saturday night we went to 4 very inspiring testimonies in Gridley. Sunday we went to a wedding for one of Mary's cousins. Sunday night we went to Mary's parents' house to celebrate Kate's 1st Birthday! She was quite skilled with the cake and made a huge mess on her face. It was fun to watch. It was a lovely evening to end a great weekend.

Monday I went out to a client of mine who happens to run a vineyard. After we had business taken care of I asked him if they sold grapes off the vine because I wanted to make grape juice. They sure did! I told him that I wanted enough to make 7 jars (one canner full - so my mother wouldn't have to spend hours on canning!) He thought three bags would be about the right amount. Mary and I plucked the grapes off during lunch and then Mary and mom worked on the grape juice from 3:30 to about 4:30. I got off work and went to help mom at about 5:15. I stayed until about 9:40 PM and mom canned until about 12:10 AM! As you can guess....we ended up with 69 quarts of grape juice! I think 3 bags might have been enough to make 7 bottles of wine where you actually only use the grapes and don't add water! It was probably around 30 lbs of grapes! Needless to say...we shall enjoy all winter! Don't worry Steph, I will post pictures later!
Tuesday, Mom, Sheila, Katy, Mary and I went out to eat at Culvers. Then we went to the Towerline Speedway! Once again it was a blast. I have a feeling that next summer the Beutel's may be there quite a few times! Wednesday I went to church and Mary stayed home with a cold. Tonight we are going singing with U. Marv & A. Paula's singing group to sing to an older couple. Then we are going out to eat for supper! First however, we are leaving in moments to eat some fresh raspberry pie that Mom made for me today!

It is certainly beginning to feel like fall. Mary and I went walking this morning and it was nice and cool! I hope it is that way this weekend as we take our tent out for the first time to camp!

Enjoy the pics below....more will be added later!

Greg




The Budweiser Horses at the State Fair!



Sheila and I duking it out on the "Boxer Jocks"! What fun!


Katy & I before our "fast" rounds on the go-kart track! I think we had the slowest one! But the next time we did it, we drove separate on faster ones!

2 comments:

Stephanie R. said...

Sounds like a lot of fun Greggie. Wish I could've been there :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.