Saturday, June 05, 2010

What we did during the kidney surgery...

We kept Jacob, Grace, Elisabeth, Silas, and Hannah from Thursday morning to Saturday morning...it was a little crazy, but a lot of fun! :) This is Mary writing, by the way, even though it says it's posted by Greg. Anyway, I tried to remember to take pictures throughout the days, but I could have done much better. :) Here are a few of them!


On Thursday for our snack we made ladybugs! Jacob had typed up this recipe for "Yummy Ladybug Snacks" for me about three years ago, and we finally made them. They turned out cute!


Thursday afternoon most of the kids were playing outside. I happened to look out the kitchen window and saw Max sitting in a puddle at the end of our lane. Pretty soon, someone else joined him playing in the water, and then Grace asked, "Aunt Mary, can we go play in the puddle, too?" I figured it wasn't a big deal, so we all went to splash in the mud. Oh, and Max's firetruck and squirting hose were a big hit! :)

Thursday evening Greg took JGESH and maybe Max, too...I can't remember. Anyway, he took them to their new house in the country to pick strawberries. There are several rows of them there. I loved it because it gave me a chance to get supper a little more organized and be ready when they came back!


On Friday, Carmen, Kate, and Lincoln brought lunch. After lunch we set up a sprinkler for the kids to play in since they had their swimsuits with them. Of course, Friday was not as warm as Thursday, and several of the kids asked, "Can we make the water any warmer?" Afraid not. When the girls were tired of the sprinkler, Greg gave cartwheel lessons. Kate thought he was pretty cool! :) Our SLR camera was being repaired, so all I had was our little point and shoot. All the pics I tried to get of Greg's cartwheels look like this one...tumbling down!


Greg took Friday afternoon off of work which was fabulous! Jacob, Grace, and Elisabeth helped him make a double batch of jam for them and also a double batch for us (I forgot to say that Grace and Jacob picked our strawberries on Thursday).


Then, after making jam and Hannah's nap, Greg took JGESH down to the creek to do some exploring.


They loved it!


Just look at this adorable crew!


If they weren't having another sibling coming in July, this would be a great Christmas picture!


Playing on the 'marshmallow'...actually a big hay bale

On Friday evening, we took everybody to Pekin park and got some Papa John's for supper. That was a big hit! No pictures from the park, we were too busy trying to keep track of six kids! (Nora was pretty easy to keep track of.)


I don't actually remember if this was Thursday, Friday, or Saturday morning, but it was cute.


Same with this pic...I think it was Friday night, though. Paci pal cousins!

On Friday night after we got back home, Greg made a fire and whoever wanted to roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. It was a bit of a later night, but it was fun! We must have really worn out Hannah. She was the last one to go to bed, and she ended up laying down with her paci and blanket and putting herself to sleep...no prompting!


Saturday morning Greg made pancakes for breakfast while I tried to get some of the bags together. Around 10:00 or so, we took everybody over to Dad and Mom Rassi's house, where they were going to spend the next two nights.

The rest of Saturday Greg helped his dad with the bales and mowed our lawn and I cleaned up our house a little. Saturday evening we went to Paulo and Roseli's for their citizenship party (They got their U.S. citizenship the week before! Hooray!) and then went to cousin Susan's testimonies. Sunday was her baptism and in the evening we went to Dad and Mom Rassi's to swim. (I didn't actually swim, but Greg and Max did.) Monday morning was the annual Rassi Memorial Day breakfast, which was delicious as always! In the afternoon we just relaxed at home (which felt wonderful) and then we went to Dad and Mom Beutel's for supper and the evening.

All in all, we had a great time keeping our nephews and nieces and are thankful the surgeries all went well. It was a pretty unforgettable Memorial Day weekend! :D

No comments: