Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Life is Interesting...

I just want to write a post here because this blog is kind of my journal of our lives since I don't keep a written one. A week ago Sunday night, (April 3rd), Nora woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air. It scared me pretty badly, but after talking to an after hours nurse, I learned all about croup and what to do about it (sit in the bathroom with hot water shower running to make it steamy). We went to the doctor the next day and got a steroid (which she only had to take for 3 days), and she never woke up gasping again like she had the first night. I was nervous that Max would get it, but he dodged the bullet, thankfully. Last night, I woke up to hear Nora coughing. It didn't sound too bad, but after it persisted and I heard her crying, I went in. She wasn't gasping, but up close I could hear the telltale barky cough and hoarse breathing. Oh, boy. Into the bathroom we went for another steam session, and then she slept the rest of the night. I didn't want to take her to the doctor, but he wanted to listen to her lungs, so back to his office for another visit we went. Once there, her lungs sounded perfect, but he checked her ears (she had an ear infection end of March and he had rechecked them last week, saying they looked good) and her left one was full-blown infected. So now little Nora gets to take an antibiotic AND a steroid! Just to clarify, I'm not writing this to complain. Today has actually been a really good day...the last two times Nora was at the doctor, she screamed pretty much the whole time. Today, she only cried when Dr. Cross looked in her ears. I'm very thankful my mom was available to go with me to the appt. and watch Max, and I'm very thankful that this happened when I was able to go to the appt. with Nora, not home recovering from having a baby. Also, for the most part, both of our kids take medicine pretty good. Even Baby #3 cooperated last night and today, not jumping around too much or giving me contractions when I was trying to take care of Nora. All in all, I just wanted to record what's going on at our house so I can look back someday. :) My main concern right now is to GET THESE GERMS OUT OF OUR HOUSE before the baby comes home to it! So I'm also thankful that it's so nice outside and our windows can be open. :) I really hope that my next post is to announce that we've finally met Baby #3, but I won't make any promises since, as I've learned, anything can happen at this house!

2 comments:

The Kaiser Family said...

Thinking of you Mary, praying for you often!!!!!!

(and waiting to hear...)

r

Mary said...

Thank you, Ruth! We appreciate it!