Saturday, July 30, 2011

Family Date Night

Our Friday evening was open last night....Greg and I considered having a date night, but didn't want to have the kids babysat two days in a row (we have potluck tonight).  Soooo, my creative husband decided it would be fun to take the kids bowling. Me being the nervous Nellie I am,  I was not wild about this idea at first.  Someone would have to hold Tirzah unless she slept (which was unlikely), and Max and Nora can both be pretty fast when they want to get away from Daddy and Mommy!  In the end, it worked out great and I can once again say I'm glad I have a hubby who stretches me. :)
Max and Nora ready to go...or so they think!  You'll be driving soon enough, kids!
 The first bowling alley we went to was closed for renovations, so we had to drive to another town.  It worked out perfect, though, since Tirzah got a little longer nap that way!
Max using the ramp to roll his ball...thanks to the cashier for suggesting it to us!
 The kids did okay at staying by the chairs when it wasn't their turn...we promised them ice cream afterwards if they listened and were obedient.
Soooo excited he can carry his own bowling ball!
Max bowling all by himself!
 It was funny....Max and Nora both LOVED rolling the ball down the lane, but usually weren't very concerned at how many pins were knocked over.  I guess I'm glad for it...their competitive spirits will come out soon enough, too. :)
Nora loved saying, "Ready?  Go!!!"
 We don't have any pictures of Tirzah because she was busy being an angel in her car seat.  Halfway through, she started to fuss so Greg and I took turns holding her.  Greg would bowl, help Max bowl, then take her.  Then I would bowl, help Nora, and take her back. :)  Worked great.
Pleased as punch with herself!  She would watch it and say, "It go fast!!!  Right, Mommy?"
 One game was plenty for our crew!  Just about the perfect amount of time.
Final scores are:  Greg-100, Max-90, Me-119, Nora-75
Not high scoring, but we did have fun!
 On the way home to the promised ice cream, Greg started having a craving for heisse liebe, the dessert with ice cream, thickened raspberries, and whipped cream.  Of course, Wal-Mart was out of raspberries when we stopped in, but we used blackberries and it was just as good!  Greg made these beautiful glasses full of scrumptiousness as I was getting Tirzah ready for bed.
Oh, yum.
And so pretty!
 As you can see, Max and Nora were pretty thrilled with it, too!


Slluuuurrrrrppp!
A "big boy" bite!
 And so here is the last picture of our family date night:

As with anything we do with our kids, it wasn't relaxing, but it sure was fun!  :D

3 comments:

The Kaiser Family said...

Wonderful post, Mary, and wonderful idea! I have to say that's something we've never done - It's never even crossed my mind! But I think our kids would love it - especially the ice cream at the end :)
Thanks for posting about it!

Anonymous said...

looked like fun, and the ice cream and blackberries, Yum!! Love, Grandma B.

Plattner Ranch said...

Johanna's favorite words "ready, Go!"

The desserts looked so pretty like you went to a fancy restaurant!

We have gone bowling on date nights, but Daddy usually takes one child (or Mommy) at a time for some quality 1 on 1 conversation. It's supposed to go in order of Mommy, child, Mommy, child, etc.