It all started with two little ramekin-sized cakes I had in my freezer...I still can't remember what they were leftover from. Anyway, on a food blog that I follow, I had seen a post for making your own marshmallow fondant. The woman who writes the blog is a self-taught baker and makes some pretty amazing cakes! I have wanted to try the fondant for a while now but never had an occasion to do it. Well, with Nora throwing her paci away and Elena trading in her paci, I thought it would be fun to make them a 'big girl' princess cake. It turned out cuter than I thought it would! Definitely far, far from perfect, but I had fun doing it, and I don't think I could have picked a lower stress project to make and use fondant for the first time. :) Steph, Elena, and Annika came over a week ago and spent the morning with me, my kids, plus Grace and Eden who I was babysitting. After a morning of playing and then eating lunch, it was time for the cake!

I think Elena was impressed. :)

I think Elena was impressed. :)

I made it pink and purple with a tiara on top and an 'E' and 'N' in two of the hearts on the side...

All done! None of the kids actually finished their pieces, which was fine by me. I didn't think it tasted that great and I really had way more fun making it than eating it. :) I'm pretty sure they all liked the fondant wands, crown, stars, and hearts than the actual cake!

Sweet Eden...we had fun babysitting you and your sister!
This last picture has nothing to do with the big kid 'party,' but the next evening Greg and I were able to go to the THS Madrigal Dinner, where my 'little' brother Caleb was the Lord Chamberlain, aka Head Server. He had to tell all of the 8th grade servers how to get the courses out in a timely and professional manner. He did great! :)








No comments:
Post a Comment