Thursday, December 22, 2011

Snow and dinosaurs

I'm already behind in my posting again!  We've been doing so many fun things that I have several posts I want to get up before it's time to put up my Christmas ones!  We had our first snow of the year on December 9th, I think.  It was snowing when the kids woke up and I told Max to look outside at it.  He looked and said, "Mom, it's not snowing!"  I think when he hears "It's snowing" he pictures the blizzard we have in February. :)  Anyway, Max and Nora really wanted to go play in it, so before we ran errands that morning, they got their chance (as much as they could play in the light dusting!)

Nora soon discovered that it was too cold for bare little hands!

Once she got over it, though, they both had fun tromping around and making footprints on our driveway.

The next day we all went to Peoria to see the Dinosaur Exhibit at the Civic Center.  Steph, Elena, and Sheila came with us, too.  By the time we got there it was nearly lunchtime, so we got some hot dogs and nachos to share.  Elena decided that dinosaurs didn't sound fun at all, so we all went through a little Christmas market in the Center instead.  They even had a real live reindeer!

Max and Nora looking at the reindeer

There he is!

Max loved the reindeer...Nora and Elena (surprise, surprise) did not.  You got a picture taken of you with the reindeer after you paid the money to see it and feed it...our picture has Greg smiling, Max smiling (not sure if he's looking at the camera...can't remember), and Nora with her mouth wide open, bawling.  I think Steph's picture was similar. :)

Steph took Elena home for a nap, and the rest of us went to the dinosaur exhibit.  Our conclusion was that it wasn't worth the admission fee.  Maybe it would be if you had a 10-12 year old boy who LOVED dinosaurs, knew all their names, etc.  It was a little intimidating to our kids, but to their credit, we had NO tears or screaming.  Yay, kids! :)  Max thought the life-size dinos were neat, but once we walked around and looked at them all, we were done.

Greg and a brave Max...you can't tell from the picture, but there were lights projected on the screen behind them that looked like a jungle.

Ooohhh, look at those teeth!  Greg tried to get a picture with Max of them looking scared in front of that dinosaurs' open mouth, but Max wouldn't do it.

So instead, Nora wanted me to take a picture of her 'scared' face and wide open mouth. :)

The kids liked these little dinosaurs...just their size!

Even Nora wanted to sit on it...I was so proud of her!  As soon as we walked into the arena, you could hear growling and roaring on the soundtrack, there were weird lights everywhere, and I fully expected Nora to start shrieking.  I'm so glad she did so well!

The Tyrannosaurus Rex!  This was one of the animatronic ones, and Max kept pushing the orange button to make it move its head.

They had this big dino head as a free photo op, so Greg and Max jumped in by it.

We had a fun morning with our kids, Sheila, Steph, and Elena...and I already blogged about what we did the next day...Elena's birthday!

No comments: